Monday, March 21, 2016

First time for everything. (Dominican Republic)

I have traveled to many cities, and countries before but this time it was different. The excitement was definitely there but so were the nerves. It was my first time flying with friends; usually I fly with family or even alone and that never scared me, but this time I found myself freaking out about the small stuff.
I definitely over packed, clothes, and medicine. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when going on a medical relief mission trip. 
My first medical mission trip was to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I have heard from so many people how beautiful DR was, and how the beaches were to die for, but that was more towards the touristy places. The cities that we were planning to go to and help out were the rural and "less developed" areas. Even though we didn't go to the tourist attractions, I still thought the country was beautiful, more so the people. I grew up in an environment where everybody is family, and we are very inviting people; this was how the people of DR were. They considered everybody family, and welcomed us into their homes as if they had known us forever. Some people cooked breakfast and dinner for us, and invited us to explore the city with them. We were more than honored. Regardless of  their social class, they were all more than willing to help out in any way. They always had a smile on their face, which was so reassuring.
Our mission for this trip was to provide primary eye care to those in the Dominican Republic. Before going on the trip, the Pre-Optometry Association cleaned and sorted out reading glasses, and put them in different catergories. We took these glasses to DR so we could give them out to those who can't afford eyeware as well as those who didn't have access to it. Its one thing to do something because someone told you to, but its so different to see your hard work put into action. I was happy to see the glasses actually being used. These people definitely were not going to take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment