Friday, January 13, 2012

Stepping out of my comfort zone

Seriously, that’s pretty much all I’ve done while traveling. I’ve had my fears and complications but it’s something I had to stick through and make the most of.
Traveling alone can be boring... in fact, most of the time it is boring. But i’ve reached that stage where I know that I’m alone and i’ve accepted it... it just makes me more independent i feel. Also you meet some really cool people when you travel alone cuz you have no choice but to be random and talk to strangers.
Anyways, back to my adventures recently:

Sydney Harbor Bridge (Australia) = you know that really tall bridge in Australia that cars go on??? Well i kinda climbed that. 1,439 steps, 134 meters tall; It was on my bucket list so i kinda had to do it... I was super scared at first because i didn’t know what to expect, oh & because I’m scared of heights. Being at the top was just spectacular, it was a 360 degree view of the entire city! While being at the top, i told myself not to look down since it wouldn’t help with the whole fear thing.. but that idea kinda got thrown out the window. At that point i started looking for sharks in the water. I didn’t see any but i did spot out a stingray minding its own business swimming along the edge of the harbor. 3 1/2 hours later I was down at the bottom, taking off all the gear and purchasing my photos at the store.... wow! what an experience. Definitely mind blowing and worth it, its something i can cross off my bucket list and something i can tell my kids when i’m older!
Auckland Sky Walk (New Zealand) = I hear that all tourists must either do the Sky Jump or Sky walk! I’ve always wanted to sky dive so i thought this would be the perfect opportunity, except for the fact that i have a concious and all i could hear in the back was my mum’s voice saying “DONT YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT”. Instead i did the sky walk which is where you go all the way to the top of the tower and walk along the edge with only a harness on... scary stuff right there! After doing the bridge, i thought i was kinda unstoppable... that was until i reached the top of the tower. At least on the bridge if you fell, you would fall on stairs, this time if you fell, you’re a dead man/women. But all was successful, i got to see the volcanos, islands, yachts and buildings.
Mountain Biking (Woodhill - New Zealand) = I went with a Platinum Partner, Sue who lives in Auckland. She had asked me if I liked biking and i thought about it and was like, of course, i bike all the time (this was around celebration type of biking - nothing harcore but i thought i could handle it). Anyways, we went to the mountain range and it was a little wet from the rain but nothing stopped us. We rented some bikes, helmet and gloves and started the adventure. They always said the first 10 minutes would be the worst... they were right! I was literally out of breathe as i biked up and down hills in the forest! You know when you’re running and people say they “hit the wall”, well thats how i felt but to a lower level. I managed to only fall off my bike 4 times! got some cuts and bruises but no broken bones.... SUCCESS! Anyways, by the end of it, i felt like a pro. I was quicker at pedaling, a professional at changing gears and semi good at making the jumps. It was a lot of exercise and calories burned but definitely worth it! I’m so glad I did it. 

Kayaking (Hamilton - New Zealand) = Basically, kiwi’s (new zealanders) are known for their outdoor activities. I’ve never kayaked before so i thought why not. Mind you, my biggest fear are sharks. I know that there aren’t any sharks in the river or lake but i think it’s just the water in general, there’s a SLIGHT chance. And also, you can’t really see in the water so you don’t know whats swimming underneath you. Besides that, i got on the water and kayaked. I didn’t know what to do or how to turn, stop, go faster until i was actually on the water heading towards a bunch of lilypads. I didn’t want to get stuck, and panicking would just make everything worst so i just prayed to god that nothing would happen. I’m alive and writing this now... so all was good! I got the hang of it after 5-10 minutes and it was extremely peaceful on the lake; there were ducks swimming around hoping that you would feed them. & now i would like to think that i’m a pro kayaker with super arm strength :]

No comments:

Post a Comment